7.14.2011

Chicken Florentine with Spinach filled Tortellini

I always hated ricotta, no let me rephrase, I hate ricotta. Barilla Spinach and Ricotta Tortellini caught my eye, I mean after all I do love spinach. I somehow convinced myself that the spinach would easily overpower the ricotta and so I bought them. One night I was craving them but wanted to get a little more creative so I figured why not a Chicken Florentine with Spinach Tortellini.



Flour and spice drenched chicken in a frying pan of olive oil.

I started with some boneless skinless chicken breasts. Of course the store never trims then properly so after cleaning the shit out of them and wasting about 30% of them, I was ready! I fileted them into cutlets, cut into two to three inch pieces and pounded them out. With a container filled with flour, pepper, salt and garlic powder I drenched each one and then dropped them in the frying pan of hot olive oil. Where we are so far..


2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
Olive Oil
Flour
Black Pepper
Salt
Garlic Powder

I don't measure anything except when I bake, so you need to eyeball it and taste it to make sure it suits your taste. I for one, am someone who always adds more spices to an already perfect recipe but to each his/her own. 


Cover with foil and put aside.


I started boiling some water for the tortellini's and popped some frozen spinach into the microwave. After making sure each piece of chicken was golden brown on both sides, I transferred them to a dish and covered it with tin-foil. I added some butter and fresh chopped garlic to the pan I used for the chicken. Once the butter was frothy and the garlic filled the room with scent, I added the sauteed spinach (using some olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic, fold in the thawed or fresh spinach and cook until heated). 



Once thoroughly heated I added a cup of chicken broth. Let's recap.

Frozen Chopped Spinach
Butter
Garlic
Spinach filled Tortellini
Chicken Broth

Once it cooked down a bit I added enough half and half to give it a cream color and stirred in some grated Parmesan cheese. Add the chicken back in (along with any juice from the plate) and put a lid on it. Drain your tortellini and transfer to a serving dish. Spoon over the chicken and creamy spinach mixture and enjoy!




Grated Parmesan Cheese
Half and Half

Thirteen ingredients and 30 minutes later and we have a yummy and filling dinner. And I didn't even taste the ricotta!

No comments:

Post a Comment