7.15.2011

Chicken Gnocchi Soup

So for the first time in forever, I got soup instead of salad at Olive Garden. The soup I chose to have was the Chicken Gnocchi - described as a creamy soup of chicken, spinach and Italian dumplings. It was amazing.. so after some research and taste tests, I have come up with a recipe that is extremely close in flavor.

Half a Stick of Butter.
Drizzle of Extra Virgin Oil Olive
Small Onion
One Stalk of Celery
Two Carrots (one if you prefer, I just happen to love carrots)
Some Chopped Garlic (fresh or from a jar)
Salt and Pepper
Flour

The roux before flour is added.


Cook the butter, oil, a couple shakes of salt and pepper, finely chopped onion, celery, carrot and garlic until the onions are clear. Add three tablespoons of flour to the roux and stir for two minutes.

Quart Half and Half
Leftover Chicken
Frozen Chopped Spinach (thawed)
Pound of Gnocchi
Water
Chicken Bouillon Powder

It looks like the paste we all used in kindergarten. The roux after flour is added.


Cook the Gnocchi according to the package directions. Add the Half and Half to the roux slowly while stirring. Add in the cooked chopped chicken. I used a whole breast but it's your preference as to how much or how little you like. Stir in about three cups of water mixed with three teaspoons of the bouillon powder.

After the Half and Half and Chicken is added. (I shredded my carrots but I think finely chopped would look better)


It will thicken a lot so feel free to add more or less chicken broth. Drain the spinach and stir into the soup. I use chopped spinach because I like spinach going throughout the soup, it does however make the soup appear to be loaded with spinach. If you have picky eaters, or just prefer to see less spinach, use fresh or frozen leaf spinach. I used a whole package but again you have to adjust it to your personal taste. Mix in the cooked and drained Gnocchi and you're ready to go! The whole recipe took me about 35 minutes to make and that was even with my kitten tripping me and having to wash a pot for the Gnocchi.

The finished product!


Serve with crusty Italian bread. I would say that this soup would easily serve 8, it is extremely filling especially if you are having a slice of bread with it. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment