7.20.2011

Chicken Marsala

Chicken Marsala is one of those dishes I would normally order if I seen it on a menu but never even had a thought to attempt making it. I just always assumed it was a difficult recipe but I couldn't have been more wrong. After googling some styles of the dish and trying it a few times (the first time I made it you could definitely taste the wine, no bueno) I think I found my favorite way to make it at home.

Two boneless skinless Chicken breasts
Flour
Sweet Marsala Wine
Butter
Chicken Stock( or a Bouillon Cube and some Water)
A small onion
Small button mushrooms(one package is enough but for mushroom lovers, you're going to want two)
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Parsley
My awesome Mashed Potatoes

Start by cutting your chicken into your desired size pieces. I like to slice them into cutlets, some people prefer bite size pieces or the whole breast. Mix some flour in a shallow bowl you can use for coating and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and parsley. Drench each piece of chicken in the mixture until it is well coated. Drizzle some olive oil into a big frying pan and cook each piece of chicken until it is golden brown on each side. Once all the chicken is ready transfer it to a plate and cover with foil.

In the same pan you cooked the chicken in add some butter and start scraping the pan. Dice up your onion and slice the mushrooms and add them to the pan. Cook until the mushrooms are soft and the onion is translucent. Slowly pour in the Marsala. I use enough to more than cover the onion and mushroom mixture. It all depends on how much sauce you want, you really can't fuck this dish up. Let it boil out some of the alcohol. You can test it by tasting a bit of it, if the wine taste is over bearing let it simmer a bit more. Once it's not too wine flavored add in some chicken stock and another pat of butter. The butter will give the sauce that shimmery look. Add the chicken back to the sauce and let simmer for a minute or two and that's it! How easy was that?!



I guess I do have to give you my awesome mashed potato recipe since I did say to serve the Chicken Marsala with it..

Red potatoes
Three Bouillon cubes
Small Onion
Butter
Milk
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Parsley

In a two quart pan bring water to a boil. Add in the bouillon cubes, some salt, the potatoes and the peeled whole onion. I don't peel my potatoes because I like when my mashed potatoes have the skin in them but that's your prerogative. Also I find cooking the potatoes in the flavored water actually flavors the potato nicely. Cook until when pierced with a fork the potato slides right off the fork. Drain the potatoes reserving a cup of the liquid. Discard the onion or whatever you want to do with it is fine, I just throw it out. Get out your masher and work out your frustrations on your bowl of potatoes. Add in the cup of liquid, butter, milk, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder and parsley. Mix it all up and give it a taste. Add more milk for a more creamier potato, add more butter for a better tasting more of a chance of clogging your arteries potato.

 Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

  1. You need a better camera...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was taken on my phone before I knew I would be making a blog, as I make each recipe again new and better pictures will be taken.

    ReplyDelete