7.17.2011

Macaroni Salad with What?!

I have to give props to Gladys Cifarelli because this is a variation of her macaroni salad. I hate mayo but I always used it in my cold picnic salad dishes. She gave me a recipe using Miracle Whip which I'm also not a fan of but I figured I'd give it a try. The Miracle Whip packs a much tangier flavor than mayo and I never tell people that's what I used until after they rant and rave about how good the macaroni salad was, then the usual reaction is "Really?!" So on with it!

One box of elbow pasta
One medium size jar of Miracle Whip
Milk
Red Wine Vinegar
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Salt
Pepper
Oregano

Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box. In a large mixing bowl combine the entire jar of Miracle Whip, a few splashes of the vinegar, some shakes of pepper, salt, garlic and onion powder, and oregano. Once that is all combined taste it to see if you need more of a particular spice, I happen to use a lot of vinegar. Slowly add some milk while stirring to thin out the dressing a bit. Keep in mind that the pasta will absorb most of the dressing. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put in the fridge.

Diced Ham
English Cucumber(they're seedless)
Can of Black Olives
Red Onion

Dice the onion, peel and dice the cucumber and slice the olives. Mix it all together with the ham. Once your elbows are cooked, drained and cooled add the veggies and ham to the pasta. Make sure the elbows are cool because once you add the dressing it will become a sloppy hot mess. Slowly fold in the dressing and put back into the fridge until it is time to serve. And remember, don't mention Miracle Whip until after everyone has eaten it otherwise most people won't even give it a try! Expect to receive A LOT of compliments on this one. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment