7.24.2011

Stuffed Peppers

Stuffed Peppers won the poll. Stuffed peppers are another one of those dishes I never really wanted to try because I never realized how easy they were to make. And really it's only four ingredients plus spices.

Peppers (I use green but any color will do)
1 lb Ground Beef
2 cups cooked Rice
Marinara Sauce (I usually have some frozen from when I make a big batch.)

I use boil in a bag rice because it's really hard to fuck up, lol. I have this thing with boiling stuff, I either do it too long or not enough so rice in a bag is a foolproof method to my madness. I season my ground beef with salt, pepper, garlic powder and basil. Depending on my mood I might throw some finely chopped onions in there. Brown your meat in a frying pan until no longer pink and then drain and set aside.

I know some people actually cook the rice and mix in the raw meat and stuff the peppers but I can't do that, I would freak out wondering if the meat is cooked in the peppers. The only way to check would be to cut open someones pepper and that's  bullshit.

While the rice and meat are cooking you can prep your peppers. Wash and dry them and then cut off the top of each pepper. If you slightly crunch the pepper before doing this the membranes inside break and most of your peppers will have the insides come out attached to the lid. Scoop out whatever insides and seeds are left inside. Now you have a choice, you can parboil your peppers if you like them soft or if you like them with a slight crunch just start arranging them open side up in a baking dish.

In a mixing bowl combine your beef and rice. Give it a taste to see if you should add more seasoning. Slowly start to stir in some sauce to your desired consistency. You can also shake in some grated Parmesan cheese for added flavored. Overly stuff each pepper but not packed in, just scoop in spoonfuls but don't press down. Cover each pepper with a generous amount of sauce and spoon some sauce on the bottom of the pan around the peppers. Cover the pan with foil.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes. 20 minutes foil on, last 10 without.

Half Recipe in two giant peppers. I have to get a better picture the next time I make it.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm looks good....I add (sp) whorshire sauce to mine...love stuffed peppers....:-)

    ReplyDelete